Regular maintenance of your waterproofing products is extremely important to prevent malfunction and to prolong their life. Some times of year, like winter or spring for example, create a lot of excess moisture for your home to have to deal with. Taking precautions during the more dry times to perform your waterproofing systems maintenance can help set them up for the utmost success for upcoming wet seasons.
Here are some ways that you should regularly maintain your products:
Sump Pump Systems
It is important to examine, clean, and test your sump pump a few times per year, especially before a storm or heavy rainfall, to make sure that it is working properly.
Here are the maintenance steps we suggest:
- Ensure that the pump is plugged into a working outlet and the cord is in good shape. Be sure that the area around your sump pump is dry. If the area is damp, the breaker may trip and shut off the sump pump.
- Clean out the sump basin of mud, dirt, sand, or other debris.
- Clean the liner of the sump pit.
- Make sure that the discharge line opening is clear and able to properly discharge the water.
- Remove the submersible pump from the pit and clean the bottom grate to make sure that it is not blocked by rocks or other debris.
- To test the function of the sump pump, pour a bucket of water into the sump pit. The sump pump should turn on, quickly discharge the water, and shut off automatically. If your pump will not start, have it serviced immediately.
- Examine the float switch, intake valve, and impeller to make sure they move freely.
Interior Drain Tile
Clean out your drain tile at least once a year to ensure that no debris is clogging the water flow. You can easily clean it out with a garden hose or a sewer snake.
Exterior Drainage Systems
Since your exterior drainage systems are exposed to the elements, it is very important to regularly maintain them to make sure they are functioning properly. It is important that yard drainage is working correctly, or you will be fighting an ongoing battle against water. Here are some tips to properly care for your exterior drainage systems:
- Inspect your gutters, drains, downspouts, and extensions for leaves and debris on a monthly basis, especially after windstorms or heavy rainfall.
- Get on a secure ladder and remove any sticks, leaves, or other debris from your clogged gutters.
- If dirt and debris are difficult to remove by hand, use a high-powered garden hose to clean them out. Be careful not to use anything too powerful like a high-power garden snake, as this may damage your plastic gutters.
- Make sure your extensions and downspouts are all secure and have not been moved out of alignment by a storm or heavy winds. Your downspouts should extend at least five feet away from your home to ensure that water flows away from your foundation.
- Winterize your outdoor pipes to prevent freezing and cracking.
Egress Windows & Window Wells
If you have an egress window installed in your home, it is very important to maintain it so that it properly serves as an emergency exit and doesn’t leak water into your home.
Here are some ways that you can regularly maintain your egress window:
- Keep the window frames clean and clear of debris. Vacuum up leaves on the outside and use mild dishwasher soap with warm water to clean them. This will keep both their appearance and operation up to date.
- Since egress windows are located in the basement, they are sometimes exposed to humid conditions. To prevent mold from growing on your egress window due to high humidity, make sure you have a dehumidification system in your basement.
- Regularly check the function of your egress window to make sure it opens and closes easily.
- Check your window wells after heavy rains to make sure that no water has leaked through. You may have to install exterior drainage if you find that water is getting into your window wells.
Our Customer Care Preventative Maintenance Plan
Basement Masters Waterproofing offers a Customer Care Preventative Maintenance Plan to help you take care of your waterproofing products. Our experts will do a thorough evaluation and cleaning of your products on a regular basis to ensure optimal performance. No need to worry about what weather is to come, or how long it has been since you have had waterproofing systems maintenance!
Click here to learn more about our Maintenance Plan offered in Virginia and Maryland. Give us a call at (571) 371-0936 and schedule an evaluation of your waterproofing systems to determine what is working properly and what might need to be repaired or replaced. We will help deal with the work of getting your home into tip-top shape so you don’t have to.
This post was originally published on 1/24/2019 and updated on 12/7/2021 for accuracy and a larger scope of information.